Friday, February 1, 2013

Why everyone should own a pressure cooker...

This morning I woke up still unable to breathe through my nose. Voice raspy, lips chapped, ears ringing, sinuses pulsing. I decided then and there within those few waking moments, that it would be a good day for Chicken Noodle Soup. And not feeling well, what better way to accomplish that, than with the trusty Pressure Cooker. Why make something in 40+ minutes, when it can be done in 6. Yes, 6 minutes.

So, early in the morning, after I took a shower to remove the crust from from my eyes and sanitize my sickly self. (I know, not really something one wants to hear when reading about food, but, I'm keeping it real), I got to chopping up the veggies, and chicken. Put them in ziploc bags and stored them for later. Prep, finished.

Come 5:00 pm, chicken went into the pressure cooker, on the browning setting, with a little butter and some crushed garlic, browned for about 5 minutes, added the veggies and all the spices, covered with egg noodles and broth, lid closed, set on high for 6 minutes, and hung out with Lailah until ready.

She ate a bowl, I ate a bowl, and Andy ate 2 bowls. Success.

While Chicken Noodle Soup doesn't make the sickness 'go away', it sure helps to dull it, if only for a bowl full. Here's to hoping you and yours are sick free.




 
Pressure Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
(Once your chicken has been cubed - sprinkle lightly with Flour and Salt & Pepper)
1 heaping tablespoon butter (I used I can't believe it's not butter)
1 yellow onion, diced
5 ribs of celery, sliced
5 large carrots, sliced
1 package uncooked pasta (I used wide egg noodles)
6 1/2 cups chicken broth (I made mine with 6 1/2 cups water and 2 heaping tablespoons Chicken flavored Better than Bouillon - so much better than regular broth, in my opinion)
Salt, Pepper, Thyme, Garlic Salt, Onion Powder, Dried Parsley (All added at your discretion - I use more spices than recipes generally call for.)

With the lid off of your pressure cooker, melt the butter.  Place the coated chicken in the Cooker and cook until lightly browned, about five minutes.  Then, add the onions, celery, carrots, Salt, Pepper, Thyme and any other seasonings - and stir while cooking for one minute.  Cover vegetables with pasta and broth.  Add the lid to the Cooker and set for 6 minutes on high.  At the end of 6 minutes, carefully quick release.  Allow the steam to leave and the cooker to unlock. Eat!

(1 + 3/4 Cups is Approximately 5 WW Points+)

No comments:

Post a Comment